BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-11 12:59:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:57:41 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 11:29:48 -0500 on Monday, March 11, 2013:
 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
 > wrote:
 > >
 > >>  > It would be sort-of interesting [...]
 > >
 > > ... to get some answers to the questions we are asking. It's not out of
 > > curiosity. I don't really care what your server looks like. I just don't
 > > like
 > > wasting my time with guesses when you couldn't be bothered to give more
 > > than a
 > > vague description of what you are seeing.
 >
 > I am curious about this.  I recall when people first started using
 > 64-bit perl saying that memory use ballooned much more than expected
 > on some programs.   I don't know if there was a bug that has been
 > fixed or if those people just bought more RAM.
 >
 > >> So, I think it behooves you to figure out where these 10GB are being
 > >> consumed...
 > >
 > > Yep. Presuming they are consumed and you're not just reading the wrong
 > > column
 > > of your htop output.
 >
 > He did say that the program was crashing - which was the real issue,
 > and that excluding things fixed that.  So I think we have enough to
 > establish that there is a problem related to the size of the directory
 > tree.   But, with memory prices these days, I think if you know that
 > you are short of memory, you also know an easy solution.

I still suggest trying a native rsync copy of the server to determine
max memory usage. Then we will know if it's a BackupPC or an rsync
(protocol <= 28) problem. If it's an rsync problem, buy more memory or
split into smaller shares. If it's a backupppc problem, then fix the
problem.

And btw, make sure to force rsync to use protocol 28 (I think) to make
sure you are using the same protocol level as File::RsyncP