BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-11 21:26:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:25:10 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 12:16:49 -0500 on Monday, March 11, 2013:
 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:57 AM,  <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
 > >
 > > I still suggest trying a native rsync copy of the server to determine
 > > max memory usage. Then we will know if it's a BackupPC or an rsync
 > > (protocol <= 28) problem. If it's an rsync problem, buy more memory or
 > > split into smaller shares. If it's a backupppc problem, then fix the
 > > problem.
 >
 > I'm not sure how it helps to know if native rsync works.  Perl's data
 > structures are bigger to permit its dynamic typing concepts and
 > reference counting so it will naturally need more memory.

It should still be proportional...

Plus, the scale-up depends in large part how File::RsyncP is
implemented... I believe some of it is implemented in C (hence, the
need for compilation) and it is possible/likely that some of the data
is stored in more efficient C-like data structures.

Indeed, if File::RsyncP blindly used Perl memory storage, we *all*
would have encountered memory issues on much smaller file sets. For
example, on a 64 bit platform (not necessary 64 bit Perl), storing
an integer takes 24 bytes, storing a string takes 48 bytes plus
multiples of 8 bytes to store the contents. Hashes, take 150-200 bytes
just for each hash key, not including the memory required to store
the hash value.

As they say, "to estimate memory usage of Perl, assume a reasonable
algorithm for memory allocation, multiply that estimate by 10, and
while you still may miss the mark, at least you won’t be quite so
astonished."

Given that I can back up shares containing 500,000+ files on a
plugcomputer with only 512MB of memory with no swap and still have
memory to spare for 2-3 simultaneous backups, I think it's
likely that File::RsyncP is not just blindly using inefficient
perl storage...