BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-11 09:09:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:08:15 -0500
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM, ashka <shellgratuit AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> I do have millions of files, I can't really get them out the backup though.
> Those files are really important, and I excluded them temporarily just to
> see how it was working out.

It would be sort-of interesting to see how much difference it would
make to run a 32-bit perl on the server.    But the solution is
probably to break the backup up into several 'shares', perhaps with
excludes in the top level and some of the larger directories specified
separately.    It is also possible to split the runs into what look
like separate hosts, but with ClientNameAlias point to the same
target.  With that approach you can also skew the days that full and
incremental runs are done to reduce the backup window otherwise needed
to complete a full.