BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-10 13:17:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:16:28 -0500
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:01 AM, ashka <shellgratuit AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using BackupPC 3.2.1 and I'm having a lot of trouble with a server :
> the BackupPC_dump process takes something close to 10Gb of RAM.
> In addition, the backup process keeps dying like that :
>
> 2013-03-07 02:00:03 full backup started for directory / (baseline backup #540)
> 2013-03-07 05:20:48 Got fatal error during xfer (Child exited prematurely)
> 2013-03-07 05:20:53 Backup aborted (Child exited prematurely)
>
> I can't do any full backup nor a incremental one.

If you are using rsync, both ends will hold the directory contents of
the whole tree in RAM during the transfer for comparison.  If you have
millions of files you may not have enough ram for that.    If the
files on the target are split under a few top-level directories, you
might be able to use several separate 'shares' instead of starting at
the root.   Or you might switch to tar, although there are some
disadvantages in tracking files correctly in the incrementals.

Also, if you haven't already checked you might want to be sure that no
other backups are running at the same time as the one having problems.