BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-12 16:51:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:48:18 +0100
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:29:41 +0100 Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote on 2013-03-11 11:29:48 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
> BackupPC_dump memory usage]:
> > [...]
> > I am curious about this.  I recall when people first started using
> > 64-bit perl saying that memory use ballooned much more than expected
> > on some programs.   I don't know if there was a bug that has been
> > fixed or if those people just bought more RAM.
>
> ok, I wasn't aware of that. I'd be surprised, though, if we have
> nobody using 64-bit BackupPC server systems on the list!? I'm about
> to install a 64-bit system for ZFS on Linux tests ...

Not again.

Please people, come join us in the 21st century. 64bit has been around
long enough. If there is still an app that fails to compile/run on
64bits, its worthy of dropping it entirely.

If something basic like perl would still make problems on 64bits, there
would be a legion of programmers fixing it.

There is no problem running any contemporary app on any contemporary
distribution on a 64bit processor and system. These apps also don't
take up more memory, they get a very little bit bigger because
memory-addresses are now 64bits instead of 32bits. But they should be
using position-independant-code anyways. And now an app can also use
more then 3Gbyte of ram. And your system can also have more than 3.2GB
of ram without ugly clutches like PAE.

Nowadays 64bit isn't an exotic exception. I had trouble last week
installing a box: Took me one attempt to realized that my hw-people
gave me a 32-bit-only machine!

Have fun,

Arnold