BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-10 21:02:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:00:45 +0100
Hi,

ashka wrote on 2013-03-10 18:55:38 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump
memory usage]:
> Le 10.03.2013 18:16, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:01 AM, ashka <shellgratuit AT gmail DOT com>
> > wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> I'm using BackupPC 3.2.1 and I'm having a lot of trouble with a server :
> >> the BackupPC_dump process takes something close to 10Gb of RAM.
> >> In addition, the backup process keeps dying like that :

10 GB, really? That means you are running a 64-bit system and you have *a lot*
of RAM. How much *do* you have, and which column of 'ps' output are you
quoting? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the cause of the process dying is
an 'out of memory'. Is your system swapping? How much swap does it have, how
much is used?

> > If you are using rsync, both ends will hold the directory contents of
> > the whole tree in RAM during the transfer for comparison.  If you have
> > millions of files you may not have enough ram for that.

Absolutely correct, and the *first* thing to check. Honestly, the fact that
you don't have an answer to this comment before asking your question below
irritates me.

> > Also, if you haven't already checked you might want to be sure that no
> > other backups are running at the same time as the one having problems.
>
> Is there a nice way to achieve that with BackupPC ?

That has been answered, but really, 10 GB for one backup process feels wrong.
Having concurrent backups running would make things even *worse*, but *not*
having them running doesn't fix it.

You also haven't told us if you actually are using rsync, or in what order of
magnitude the number of files you are trying to backup is.

Regards,
Holger