BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-11 13:30:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:29:41 +0100
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2013-03-11 11:29:48 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
BackupPC_dump memory usage]:
> [...]
> I am curious about this.  I recall when people first started using
> 64-bit perl saying that memory use ballooned much more than expected
> on some programs.   I don't know if there was a bug that has been
> fixed or if those people just bought more RAM.

ok, I wasn't aware of that. I'd be surprised, though, if we have nobody using
64-bit BackupPC server systems on the list!? I'm about to install a 64-bit
system for ZFS on Linux tests ...

> [...]
> He did say that the program was crashing - which was the real issue,
> and that excluding things fixed that.  So I think we have enough to
> establish that there is a problem related to the size of the directory
> tree.

Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't really matter. You help him if you have
sufficient information, I don't if I don't :-).

> But, with memory prices these days, I think if you know that
> you are short of memory, you also know an easy solution.

More than once, I had to upgrade server board, CPU(s) and memory technology,
just because I needed more RAM but the board wouldn't fit more. That aside,
out of memory could just as well be caused by process limits or arbitrary
limitations in some part of the code. It didn't sound like "with concurrent
backups it already happens at 8 GB". Or a memory problem, FS corruption,
whatever could lead to both excessive process size and the crash.
But we're back to guessing there.

Regards,
Holger