BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage

2013-03-11 09:41:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump memory usage
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:39:52 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 08:08:15 -0500 on Monday, March 11, 2013:
 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 4:59 AM, ashka <shellgratuit AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
 > >
 > > I do have millions of files, I can't really get them out the backup though.
 > > Those files are really important, and I excluded them temporarily just to
 > > see how it was working out.
 >
 > It would be sort-of interesting to see how much difference it would
 > make to run a 32-bit perl on the server.    But the solution is
 > probably to break the backup up into several 'shares', perhaps with
 > excludes in the top level and some of the larger directories specified
 > separately.    It is also possible to split the runs into what look
 > like separate hosts, but with ClientNameAlias point to the same
 > target.  With that approach you can also skew the days that full and
 > incremental runs are done to reduce the backup window otherwise needed
 > to complete a full.

It would also be interesting to see how much memory a "naked" native
rsync of the same server takes up... because from my (limited)
understanding of BackupPC, other than the needs of File::RsyncP, the
BackupPC_dump process itself shouldn't be consuming memory that scales
with number of files. The only potential memory scaling of BackupPC
itself would be with the size of an individual file that needs to be
decompressed/compressed/compared but even so it should be mostly
buffered...

So, I think it behooves you to figure out where these 10GB are being
consumed...