BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC future development (was: Backuppc and windows)

2013-03-04 11:28:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC future development (was: Backuppc and windows)
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:02:29 -0600

> On 2013-03-01 22:05, backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote:
>> Maybe it's time (or beyond time) to seek out Craig and see what his
>> plans are for maintaining/evolving BackupPC are. If he is not
>> reachable or is not interested in continuing, maybe we need to see if
>> others are willing to take over leadership of this project...
>
> It's certainly beyond time for us to know what Craig is doing, or for him
> to admit that v4 isn't going to happen as his closed room development.
>
> Is there an existing public version control? If not, I think it's time we
> upload the current source to github and get started taking the bug fixes
> in. To start with, there are a number of patches in the Debian releases
> that can be accepted.
>
> Perl isn't my preferred environment, so I don't think I'm the right person
> to do this. Jeffrey, it seems to me that you are. Are you interested?
>
> Regards,
> Tyler
>
> --

This thread started with a request for a "real" Windows client, which I
considered writing before scripting something, chiefly because I didn't
want to spend the time to get it working and find I had to redo the whole
thing shortly afterward.  Not that I'm entirely sure what I'd do with ACLs
or alternative data streams, but it's certainly possible to back up and
restore open files, and (in theory) even do a (mostly) bare metal
recovery.