BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-03-04 11:22:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: Mark Campbell <mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:20:44 -0700
Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, what are your thoughts on using ZFS' dedup
feature on a BackupPC pool?  I'm aware that a goodly amount of RAM would be
required for that feature.  But since BackupPC's dedup feature is file-based,
and ZFS' dedup feature is block-based, even more space could be saved;
particularly when you're backing up things like .pst files, where a large
majority of the file is the same, save a few bytes/KB/MB.  Such files are
flagged by BackupPC as different.

Thanks,

--Mark