BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows

2013-03-01 01:12:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 23:44:12 -0600
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Zach Underwood <zunder1990 AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> For end user computers like laptop have the server start the backup is
> wrong.

For a server doing more than a few backups, performance will much
better if the server can schedule them sanely.

> The problem with that example you gave with openvpn and ssh will not
> work because then the user would have to launch the VPN.

So leave it up all the time.  But I thought you wanted the user to
start things...

> Also the server
> does not know when the client is online.

It will try regularly until it can reach the target IP.

>The way to back is laptop is a
> client on windows would start on boot. Then every one hour or whatever the
> client would connect to the server over something like SSL to run the
> backup.

Set up openvpn to start on boot with fixed private IPs per client.
Then the server can connect when it wants, controlled by the blackout
window or the user can connect with the web interface and request a
backup if he needs special timing.