BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows

2013-03-01 16:39:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:51:20 +1100
On 01/03/13 10:27, Zach Underwood wrote:

> I have been using backuppc now for 3 weeks. I love the way it backups
> Linux severs. I also like how easy it installs. But the windows backup
> just sucks. Backuppc needs a real windows backup client. The windows
> client should be the one that starts the backup. By doing this you can
> backup over the internet. I wish I was a programmer so that I could
> help but I am just a sysadmin.

The windows client can start a backup on demand by using the webpage,
and this could be scripted, but in any case, it makes more sense for the
backup server to initiate the backup. (Unless you are talking about
laptops, in which case, just script the laptop to automatically push the
button).

It would be awesome to get a backuppc client for windows with the
following features (not the reason you probably agree with):
1) Much simpler install/setup/configure with shadow backup support
2) More reliable shadow backup support
3) ACL support
4) Bare metal restore support (or at least ensuring you backup
everything required, restore can rely on other tools like a linux boot
cd/etc)

I don't think you need a "real client" for anything else, because all
that can be done through the web interface (config/etc), it's just a
matter of getting a less hacky solution to being able to backup all
files on the OS.

While all the bits are available in one form or another, either open
source (rsync, ssh, cygwin) or closed source but available (assume
vshadow has an API at least available), I don't think you will find many
people willing to actually write the code or do the work to make it
happen. If it did happen, I imagine the person/company may like to
charge for this as a commercial product (and quite easily could I think
assuming it worked well). However, there are probably limited number of
users who would be willing to pay for that product, so, there is little
incentive, and nobody does it.

Finally, we have the added issue that backuppc may not survive the
changing times, given we have had no new version, and nobody is around
to properly maintain/extend the code. While I think it is a great
program, works reasonably well, I feel there will come a time where it
will no longer be comparable to other options.

Just my 0.02c

Regards,
Adam

--