BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows

2013-03-02 10:40:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:05:17 -0500
Adam Goryachev wrote at about 10:51:20 +1100 on Friday, March 1, 2013:
 > Finally, we have the added issue that backuppc may not survive the
 > changing times, given we have had no new version, and nobody is around
 > to properly maintain/extend the code. While I think it is a great
 > program, works reasonably well, I feel there will come a time where it
 > will no longer be comparable to other options.

This part is what truly worries me now, especially given the amount of
time that I and others have devoted to tweaking BackupPC and writing
utilities and extensions for it.

Unfortunately, it seems that the "perfect" may have become the enemy
of the good enough -- Craig 3-4 years ago went off solo to essentially
re-write much of the innards to address the issues that we all
complain about regarding hard links and pool chains that complicate
backups and bind BackupPC to a *nix-like filesystem. It seemed like a
wonderful promise... however, in retrospect, it appears that not only
didn't we get the "perfect" solution but as a result of this, all new
development and even official bug fixes of the current "good enough"
version have stopped.

Given that Craig was the sole maintainer and near-sole writer of most
of the code, it's not clear how we keep BackupPC fresh given that it's
been years since Craig has actively (publicly) participated in the
group or submitted new code or even patches. I haven't even seen a
post from him in maybe 18 months and I'm not sure anyone is even in
contact with him to know his plans...

I really would hate to see this wonderful gem of a program die a slow,
tortuous death due to benign neglect...

Maybe it's time (or beyond time) to seek out Craig and see what his
plans are for maintaining/evolving BackupPC are. If he is not
reachable or is not interested in continuing, maybe we need to see if
others are willing to take over leadership of this project...