BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC future development (was: Backuppc and windows)

2013-03-04 12:44:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC future development (was: Backuppc and windows)
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 11:42:55 -0600

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Michael Stowe
> <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:
>>

>> This thread started with a request for a "real" Windows client, which I
>> considered writing before scripting something, chiefly because I didn't
>> want to spend the time to get it working and find I had to redo the
>> whole
>> thing shortly afterward.  Not that I'm entirely sure what I'd do with
>> ACLs
>> or alternative data streams, but it's certainly possible to back up and
>> restore open files, and (in theory) even do a (mostly) bare metal
>> recovery.
>>

> Has anyone looked at the windows bacula client to see if it would be
> possible to make backuppc use it as-is and extract the files for
> storage like it does with tar?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>       lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

I looked into it very briefly, and concluded that since the Windows Bacula
clients weren't open source ( http://www.bacula.org/en/?page=winbin ) that
essentially BackupPC would have to emulate the Bacula protocol (which is
documented.) It wouldn't be any worse than FTP, I suppose, but it would be
exclusively server side development.

The protocol is here:
http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/developers/developers/Daemon_Protocol.html

I note, however, that the Windows clients aren't free, which kind of
killed the idea for me.