BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows

2013-03-05 22:04:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc and windows
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 04:02:51 +0100
Hi,

I'm not quite sure where in this thread to reply ...

Zach Underwood wrote on 2013-02-28 21:26:47 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Backuppc and windows]:
> Is there someone that I can pay to add this feature if so contact me off
> list. I work for a hosting company and we are looking to branch out in what
> we offer.
>

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM, <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
>
> > Zach Underwood wrote at about 18:27:29 -0500 on Thursday, February 28,
> > 2013:
> >  > I have been using backuppc now for 3 weeks. I love the way it backups
> > Linux
> >  > severs. I also like how easy it installs. But the windows backup just
> >  > sucks. Backuppc needs a real windows backup client.

Sorry, but this is *opinion*, not a fact, as you would like to have it sound.
The whole *point* about BackupPC is to *not* need special client side software.
Well, one point, anyway.

There are more backup solutions around. If you have other preferences, choose
a solution that fits these. Trying to modify an existing solution that
implements a different approach to backups than you want seems a bit awkward.
You say it doesn't work for you. Are you also saying, it should stop working
for the many people that are happy with it as it is?

> >  > The windows client should be the one that starts the backup.

Again, opinion. Again, contrary to BackupPCs approach (though, as has been
said, you can emulate this behaviour). Get some backup software that does
exactly this.

If the only thing about BackupPC you actually want to use is backup pooling
(i.e. deduplication), forget BackupPC and look at ZFS for storage instead. It
does deduplication at the block level, I believe, which is far superior to
BackupPC and avoids the problems the multitude of hardlinks tend to create.
It also seems to have many other nice features your backups could benefit from.

BackupPC is about far more than just pooling.

> > Well, saying something 'sucks' [...]

... in this case means you didn't understand it well enough to appreciate the
reasons it has for doing things the way it does.

Regards,
Holger