BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-03-02 10:40:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:41:48 -0500
Mark Campbell wrote at about 14:26:35 -0700 on Friday, March 1, 2013:
 > Jeffrey, what is your latest version of your script?  I have 0.1.3, circa
 > Sept '11.  Given how your script generally works, could it be made to simply
 > recreate the pool structure on an external drive on the same system, rather
 > than compressing it to a tarball?  My end goal here is to be able to simply
 > grab the external drive at a moment's notice, plug it into a new linux
 > machine, and using a tarball of the BackupPC config files, and stand it up
 > long enough to restore everyone's PCs & appropriate servers.

Well there is no need for a tarball.
You rsync or cp the pool (without paying any attention to hard
links)... so this can even be done incrementally or over a ssh (or
netcat) pipe.

My program then (quickly) crawls the pool to create an in-memory inode
hash of the pool (which can be saved to a file too for reuse). Then
the program crawls all (or some) of the pc tree to create a flat file
specifying the directories, zeros, and links. Then you run the same
program in restore mode on the new machine to re-create the directory
tree, zero files, and links.

The only storage requires is for the links file -- which for me
compressed took about 600MB to store 4M directories, 20M links and
300K zero length files. This plus the unpooled log files at the root
of each machine (small!) plus the (incremental) rsync of the pool is
all that needs to be transferred between machines to do a full
BackupPC tree copy.