BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?

2013-03-01 16:41:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Pool synchronization?
From: Mark Campbell <mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:37:56 -0700
Lars,

Thanks for the interesting idea!  I confess I haven't played with ZFS much
(though I've been wanting to for some time), maybe this is the excuse I need
;).  Question, taking your model here, and applying it to my situation, how
well would this work:

BackupPC server, with a RAID1 zpool, with the third member being my external
fireproof drive.  Rather than the rotation you described, just leave it as is
as it does its daily routine.  Then, should the day come where I need to grab
the drive and go, plugging the drive into a system with ZFSonLinux & BackupPC
installed, could I mount this drive by itself?

I really like your idea of zfs send/receive for the remote copy.  Do you have
any tips/pointers/docs on the best way to run it in this scenario?

Thanks,

--Mark