BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-13 18:25:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:24:01 -0500
On 4/13/2011 5:01 PM, Holger Parplies wrote:

>> is because I have it going to an iSCSI target on a machine with ZFS which
>> snapshots the pool. The key there is I'm taking snapshots of it so even if
>> it corrupts, I'm fine. All I'd have to do is mount the .img as EXT4 in an
>> iSCSI target and point a client to that target to retrieve the files.
>
> If you want an honest opinion, that sounds like a few random sentences to me,
> fabricated to include certain keywords. To me, it doesn't make any sense
> whatsoever. Maybe it's just my lack of understanding, but I don't see how you
> can "mount the .img as EXT4 in an iSCSI target". An iSCSI target is a block
> device, an opaque array of bytes, exported to a client to use however he
> wants. Your iSCSI device might allow you to export image files as iSCSI
> devices, but then you wouldn't mount anything server-side (much less "as
> EXT4"). Are you sure you *understand* the concepts you are talking about?

I think that's sort-of conceptually possible if a file on one system is
exported to a different system.  The exporting system can store the file
contents any way it wants and on top of ZFS it may even be possible to
lie about the size if you want to guess how much some underlying
dedup/compression options can gain. And the importing system just sees a
block device where it can build any type of filesystem it wants.  There
are some fun possibilities there, but it's not something I'd want to
debug if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, iscsi is probably going to be limited to something in the same
building.  Is this 2nd copy supposed to protect against a building
disaster or is is a staged copy that will somehow end up elsewhere?