BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-28 22:27:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:25:59 -0500
Saturn2888 wrote:
> I don't understand. Which DLLs and what versions? I use DeltaCopy and can't
> imagine why I'd not need Rsyncd. Are you saying use it over mounted Samba
> shares, or you're telling me to use SSH?
>
> In DeltaCopy, I'm able to just pop in compatible Cygwin DLL files. Cygwin
> itself is far too bulky and heavy-weight for me to condone putting it on 15
> hosts whereas DeltaCopy, all it does, is as a GUI front-end to some Cygwin
> stuff and makes it so you only need a few things, not hundreds of other GNU
> programs I don't know if I do or do not need. I hardly use the GUI anymore,
> but it's helpful and easier to use on an OS dominated by GUI front-ends.

Cygwin is basically one dll that maps unix system/library calls into windows
equivalents, and all the other files are the separate applications/tools that
you expect to be present in a unix environment.  cwRsync is another installer
packaging of the minimal files you need for ssh/rsync on windows.   It doesn't
have the GUI front end like DeltaCopy but that mostly just creates the config
file for a standalone rsync daemon anyway and if you run over ssh you don't
need
that.