BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-24 00:18:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:15:34 -0400
I was gonna put it on 2x400GB in RAID0 and having that data backed up on
another rig but didn't think that'd be such a good idea.

As an update, while my graphs haven't updated, my pool info is back! I realized
the extra 100GB was from the new files I wanted to start backing up so that
explains that part of the deal. Now I question if I should add more spindles or
not. I wanted to run the OS on a USB flash drive but feared if the unmounted
/var/lib/backuppc disappeared, the USB drive would fill up and that'd be many
many writes to it I would not want to happen which could slow down and slowly
max out the number of writes.

Since you noted RAID5 being bad for this, what sort of RAID did you have in
mind? My original idea for this machine was a RAID 10, but that's a lot of
spinning disks and a lot of power draw. I'm trying the most power-efficient
approach at the moment. Would switching to an Atom-based dual-core or
single-core server speed this up at all or be of equal speed? I know the Atom
processors are slow, but since the processor is constantly at 100%, having two
cores instead of one might not be such a bad idea.