BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-28 19:20:12
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 19:17:43 -0400
I've been reading a lot. Apparently Rsync over Cygwin or anything using those
DLLs hangs. I haven't yet felt like upgrading my memory for money reasons, but

I'm wondering if I should include the -W or --whole-file into the Rsync options
for backups. From what I read online, a lot of Windows server + Rsync issues
were occuring with hangs so I tried to change  my list to exclude junction
points and other things like it. So far, things seem to be moving as they used
to, but certain machines are still taking a long time, in fact, longer than
before. I had a machine which was taking 2 hours now taking 20, haha. It seems
like the more I do to fix it, the worse it gets. I hope that checksum thing
eventually does help. I can confirm some things work properly.

I did a full back up over 100GB of files yesterday, none of these operating
system files, and was surprised to see it take 5 hours to do. The good thing
is, when it did the incremental today, it only took 15 minutes. 15 minutes for
an incremental backup of 100GB of unchanged files from a Windows machine seems
decent enough. Then I looked closer. While it says it backed up 0MB of 0 files
total were backed up, 53 files show up as backed up existing already and 381
new files. Please look at http://badmarkup.com/backuppc/majin.png to see what
I'm talking about. How is this possible? Is it a bug in BackupPC? Would it
explain the issues I'm having? I'd still have to say backing up these files was
notably faster than backing up 20GB of a C: drive with only the OS and some
programs installed so I dunno what to expect here.