BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-25 00:14:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:12:29 -0400
Use this as the root directory: http://badmarkup.com/backuppc/

Note, full-backups of laptops or netbooks are done using 100Mbits wired
Ethernet links, everything else is under 802.11g.

Since I can't upload any, here's my most-recent pic of the Host Summary screen.
As you can see, the smallest ones seem to be working correctly; although, the
backups are still slow in my opinion, just far less noticeable. For example,
Virtual-XP is a virtual machine on the machine Soyver. Looking at its summary
page, we see the backups taking anywhere from a nice 2-5 minutes up to a
terrible 15 minutes. I say terrible because even though the size is a few
gigabytes, think of it the size was a few ten gigabytes, then what? It will
take a few ten times as long? That actually seems to be the case.

Faye-Mini is a netbook, running Linux. It has been taking longer and longer
each backup.

Colissio's page is the most insightful. All backups since 78 were done using
Rsync. Sadly, I have no older pictures of which to compare before and after
shots now. I do have them of kevin-top, a laptop. If you see this, you can
probably tell that it was after full backup 63 I switched to using Rsync. It
was also after backup 63 my fan started whirling a lot and my battery life
dropped 3 hours. I spent a long time trying to figure it out until I realized
it was only when rsync was backing up this laptop did I have all of these
issues.

I have other things I can show too. Look at Main and Xenon. Notice that after
the date I began moving Windows machines to Rsyncd, their backup times
increased a lot!