BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-23 10:56:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:55:08 -0500
On 4/23/2010 8:13 AM, Saturn2888 wrote:

>>> avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
>>> 19.91    0.04    2.99   70.84    0.00    6.23
>>
>> But, that 70% iowait number pretty much tells you what the machine is doing
>> with
>> most of its time...
>>

> I did "watch iostat" and saw that consistently.

That's probably not unusual for an active backuppc server.  Moving a
disk head around is orders of magnitude slower than any other computer
operation and it is typically the bottleneck.   The things that can help
are putting the archive on a separate mounted partition with nothing
else on the drive, adding RAM, using a raid array with many disks,
tuning the run concurrency, caching rsync checksums, skewing the full
runs to different days, etc.  At some point it may be cheaper/easier to
just run more servers than to scale up the disk system.  You probably
have other machines that don't do anything else at night anyway and the
price is right on the software.