BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-04-23 18:19:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:17:41 +0100
On Friday 23 April 2010 22:33:49 B. Alexander wrote:
> However, for snapshotting to work, don't you have to have at least as much
> space for the snapshot as you do for the original partition? I currently am
> using nearly 60% of the VG just for backups, which is the root of the
> problem. It wasn't apparent in my scanning of the article (I'll go back and
> read for content in a bit).

No, you don't.  An LVM snapshot is a copy-on-write split from the original
partition. You only need as much space in the snapshot as the amount of data
that will change in the time that you need the snapshot.  If you will change
only 20% of the data in the time it takes you to copy the snapshot and then
remote it, you only need 20% of the volume group for the snapshot.

I've only run a few clones to a secondary location so far, all with BackupPC
idle. We're about to install a new second server and I'll have some real test
data to verify that fraction. But even the LVM docs say 10-30%.

Regards,
Tyler

worry about answers."
   -- Thomas Pynchon