BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer

2009-12-03 14:57:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:55:24 -0600
Jose Torres wrote:
> This is the default backuppc tar command:
> $sshPath -q -x -n -l root $host env LC_ALL=C $tarPath -c -v -f - -C
> $shareName+ --totals
>
> I had this:
> usr/bin/sudo $tarPath -c -v -f - -C $shareName --totals

This should have been in the per-pc config for the server host.  Or
(better) done  in the web 'edit config' for the server host only.

> I was missing that the $shareName parameter needed to be change to a NFS
> mount from the network computer to be backup (serverv2v2) corresponding to
> the remote '/' mount on the backuppc server (server2).  This way the changed
> tar command would have backup the correct data instead of the local '/'.
> The mount had to be made with the root credentials so as to have read all
> access, and mapped to the backuppc user to inherit the read all access on
> the backup server.  The mount could be done a permanent mount or can be made
> DumpPreShareCmd/DumpPostShareCmd so as make and remove the mount during
> backup.
>
> Another way to solve it is to make the tar command back at default
> (more/less):
> $sshPath -q -x -n -l root $host env LC_ALL=C $tarPath -c -v -f - -C
> $shareName --totals
>
> I did this and it worked fine now. The thing will be that we need to use ssh
> with root user which can become a security breach.

You should probably consider using rsync over ssh for the remote
machine(s) because it has several advantages over tar.   As for
security, there are some things you can do to limit ssh access.  If the
machine is internet-exposed you should make sure that password based
access is disabled - and you can restrict the commands that can be
executed or even connect as a different user and add a sudo layer to run
the backup.   But mostly you have to be very careful about access to the
private key on the backuppc server so no one can copy it.  If password
access is off, someone must have the private side of the key to connect.