BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync+sudo for rootless remote access (was: Problems to backup linux network computer)

2009-12-04 00:59:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync+sudo for rootless remote access (was: Problems to backup linux network computer)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 00:55:42 -0500
Adam Goryachev wrote at about 11:34:39 +1100 on Friday, December 4, 2009:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Very helpful. A few small nits...
 > > Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote at about 16:58:08 -0600 on Thursday,
 > > December 3, 2009:
 > >  > chown -R rsyncbackup:users ~rsyncbackup/.ssh
 > >  > chmod 700 ~rsyncbackup/.ssh
 > >
 > > I would do '600'. No need to make it executable.
 >
 > A directory needs to be executable or you can't cd into it.... readable
 > to get a directory listing, and writeable to create new files/directories.
 >
 > Note: permissions of 100 will allow you to cd into the directory, and
 > modify files in the directory (if you know the filename, and have write
 > permission on the file).

My bad - I was sloppy and didn't realize it was a directory.

 > > For a slight bit of incremental security, I do:
 > >    ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender *
 > >
 > > which I believe restricts to read only (but it's not well
 > > documented). Assuming that's true, then a hacker could not get write
 > > access to your system (and of course write access is equivalent to
 > > full ownership).
 >
 > Which also restricts you from doing a restore...

True -- but assuming that restores are relatively rare, then the added
security can be beneficial. And when you need to restore, just change
your sudo to allow writing and/or use another way to restore...

In fact, when I restore just a couple of files, I tend to just browse
the backuppc fuse file system (using backuppc-fuse). I can't say
enough good things about how good it is to have all my backups easily
browseable, searchable, etc. with the ability to apply the full range
and breadth of *nix utilities.