BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer

2009-12-03 13:26:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:23:05 -0600
Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> Jose Torres wrote:
>>> I followed this KBA for ubuntu/backuppc installation and configuration:
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupPC
>>>
>>> The default config.pl tar command does not include the network computer
>>> either. The KBA suggested change takes care of the sudo mode of Ubuntu root
>>> required commands, does not change much.
>>>
>>> So should I conclude that I must use rsync mode instead of tar mode to do
>>> network backups?
>> No, tar would work remotely, although rsync has advantages.  But sudo is
>> not a network command and is not going to run anything remotely.
>> Whatever instructions you are following must be limited to the local
>> machine and should only appear in that machine's configuration (whether
>> you are editing the .pl file directly or using the web interface).
>
> I know you could use ssh to run the tar command on the remote machine
> but I don't know how you would get the output of tar (the data) back
> to the backup server.

Ssh works as a pipe - anything written to stdout on the remote side can
be read through ssh just like a local pipe.  The default tar and rsync
commands configured in backuppc use this feature correctly.  They should
be listed in the documentation at
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#configuration_file in
case you've forgotten what you changed.

> Since Ubuntu does not have root accounts you may have to use this[1] method.
>
> Richard
>
> [1]
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html#how_can_client_access_as_root_be_avoided

Ubuntu has a root account (as anything resembling unix must).  It just
doesn't have a password assigned by default - and you don't need one for
key-pair based ssh access.