BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer

2009-12-03 13:04:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:02:39 -0600
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Jose Torres wrote:
>> I followed this KBA for ubuntu/backuppc installation and configuration:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupPC
>>
>> The default config.pl tar command does not include the network computer
>> either. The KBA suggested change takes care of the sudo mode of Ubuntu root
>> required commands, does not change much.
>>
>> So should I conclude that I must use rsync mode instead of tar mode to do
>> network backups?
>
> No, tar would work remotely, although rsync has advantages.  But sudo is
> not a network command and is not going to run anything remotely.
> Whatever instructions you are following must be limited to the local
> machine and should only appear in that machine's configuration (whether
> you are editing the .pl file directly or using the web interface).

I know you could use ssh to run the tar command on the remote machine
but I don't know how you would get the output of tar (the data) back
to the backup server.

Since Ubuntu does not have root accounts you may have to use this[1] method.

Richard

[1]
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html#how_can_client_access_as_root_be_avoided