BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync+sudo for rootless remote access (was: Problems to backup linux network computer)

2009-12-04 15:39:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync+sudo for rootless remote access (was: Problems to backup linux network computer)
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:36:00 -0600
On 12/03 07:11 , Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> For a slight bit of incremental security, I do:
>       ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender *
>
> which I believe restricts to read only (but it's not well
> documented).

Fair enough. It's not something I've tested thoroughly. I think I might have
tried it once a very long time ago, but wasn't successful... it's too far
gone from memory. In any case, I don't set up backuppc to allow direct
restores; so if this does work now, it might be good to adopt.

I don't think rsync 3.0 final release was out when I wrote that document. :)

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator