BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Got fatal error during xfer

2009-12-03 13:01:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Got fatal error during xfer
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:53:24 -0600
Kameleon wrote:
> Update:
>
> We moved the backuppc server to the same room as the client server and
> on the same switch. The backup still failed, but got alot further. The
> error is the same as last time:
>
> Read EOF:
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> Child is aborting
> Can't write 33792 bytes to socket
> Sending csums, cnt = 250243, phase = 1
> Done: 26416 files, 31698685174 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (aborted by signal=PIPE)
> Backup aborted by user signal
> Saving this as a partial backup
>

> So I ran the exact command as the backuppc user that it uses according
> to the log file and ran it manually. Then I straced the pid on the
> client machine and got this:

That won't tell you what you want, because you don't have the perl
version running on the server side doing its part.  Try an strace of the
actual run on the client side and it might catch some real error.

> It still appears the problem is on the remote server since it is
> exiting. The client server is a Dell poweredge so I would hope it wasn't
> hardware related. Anything else I can check before I give it a swift
> kick in the pants?

An fsck of the filesystems can't hurt.  Or you could test reading all
the files with 'tar --one-file-system -cf - / |cat >/dev/null' (repeat
for each mounted filesystem) to see if it encounters any errors.  Don't
use '-f /dev/null' or gnutar will cheat and skip the file read (it's a
feature).  'dmesg' might show something if you are getting hardware
errors instead of filesystem errors.

Also, be sure you are excluding /proc, /sys, etc.  Some strange things
can happen if you read everything in there.  I like to use the
--one-file-system option and explicitly back up every mount point which
will avoid the issue - along with random iso or nfs mounts that might
accidentally be followed otherwise, but if you do that, be sure you
include everything you want.