BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer

2009-12-03 09:10:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems to backup linux network computer
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:08:20 -0600
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Jose Torres <jetorres AT conecodepr DOT com>
wrote:
> Someone suggested to use the serverv2v2 root account to connect the backuppc
> user in the network, but for ssh is a security risk to allow root to
> connect, is there another way to configure the connection to a network linux
> server to execute backuppc backups?
>
> By the way both linux servers are Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Sure, it doesn't absolutely require root access but the user you do
authenticate as does need to have access to the files.

How would you check this? The same way you check for passwordless ssh
access. SU as the user on the backup server you want to use, usually
backuppc. If they do not have a shell defined you must provide that in
the su command, something like:

su -s /bin/bash backuppc

Then ssh to the computer you want to backup as the user you want to use:

ssh <user>@server2v2

Then see if that user has at read access to the files you want to backup.

Hope this helps (and works since I'm by far not a backuppc expert!)

Richard