BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving

2009-10-13 19:02:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:48:17 -0400
Tino Schwarze wrote at about 10:43:43 +0200 on Tuesday, October 13, 2009:
 > Hi Tyler,
 >
 > On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:28:04AM +0100, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
 >
 > > That is a perfectly normal design for enterprise backup systems.  Bacula,
 > > for
 > > instance, allows the execution of arbitrary commands before and after
 > > backups
 > > run, so you can execute scripts to send wake-on-LAN and shutdown commands.
 > >
 > > I don't think Backuppc has this provision, but it shouldn't be too hard to
 > > add.
 >
 > I suppose, you misunderstood Robert's question - he wants it the other
 > way around - clients power up the BackupPC server.

Also BackupPC allows the execution of arbitrary commands both
pre-and-post backups. Not sure if this is more or less flexible than
Bacula (and it may be different since BackupPC does not have a
separate client piece [a good thing in most SOHO cases] so that the
pre-and-post commands operate necessarily on the server though you can
of course use the server to launch commands on the client via things
like ssh). Just didn't want anybody to assume from reading the thread
that BackupPC lacked this capability.