BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup, Lighttp and my mess

2009-10-13 13:54:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup, Lighttp and my mess
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:52:06 -0500
Laura_marpplet wrote:
> Thank you all for your answers. I'm still trying to get it work...
>

> Regarding to the questions you made:
>
> - OS: RedHat ES4   (SELinux disabled)
>
> - Backtrack version: BackupPC-3.2.0beta0.tar.gz
>
> - # md5sum BackupPC_Admin.pl
> 09a57b60d416191c6239a6e7ea08ddc2  BackupPC_Admin.pl
>
> - # perl -c BackupPC_Admin.pl
> Args must match #! line at BackupPC_Admin.pl line 1.
>
> - head -1 BackupPC_Admin.pl:  the PERL path is correct.
>

> Lighttpd is executing as "lighttpd" user and group. I tried to change it to
> "backuppc" but then I can not run lighttpd (it says FAILED if I try to start
> it). It doesn't run with root user.
>

> drwxr-xr-x  2 root     root     4096 Oct  5 18:30 .
> drwxr-xr-x  4 root     root     4096 Oct  5 17:54 ..
> -r-sr-xr--  1 backuppc backuppc 3995 Oct  5 17:54 BackupPC_Admin.pl
> -r-sr-xr--  1 root     root     3995 Oct  10 18:29 b.pl
> -rwsr-xr--  1 root     root     3993 Oct  2 14:10 sample2.pl
> -rw-r--r--  1 root     root      116 Oct  2 14:09 sample.pl
>
> Eventually I changed the file owner to backuppc but it didn't work either.
> And don't fully understand why I can run sample.pl but not BackupPC_Admin.pl.
> Lack of knowledge, I guess.

Is there some point to this exercise?  Why not run apache and put it on
a different port if you've given 80 to lighttpd?  Anyway, to debug it,
su to the user the web server is running as (you may need to su -s
/bin/bash lighttpd if it doesn't have a shell) and try to execute
BackupPC_Admin.pl.
-r-sr-xr--  1 backuppc backuppc 3995 Oct  5 17:54 BackupPC_Admin.pl
would only be executable if you've added lighttpd to the backuppc group
- you probably really want it to be group lighttpd.  Also, you'll
probably need the perl-suidperl package installed.  The idea is that it
must be executable by (and normally only by) the web user and able to
change its effective id to backuppc.