BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving

2009-10-13 06:03:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:00:00 +0200
Hi Robert,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:11:24PM -0400, Robert Kosinski wrote:

> I have a scenario in my head and am soliciting feedback as to its
> feasibility. Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I searched
> the mailing list and wider Internet but couldn't come up with much
> information. What I'd like to do is:
>
> 1. Set a schedule on the Windows clients to send Wake-on-LAN packets
> once per day or immediately upon booting if it's been longer than the
> desired interval. Why not the other way around? Well, the backup
> server will be asleep, and I am not aware of a method to schedule a
> self wake. Reading over documentation, it looks like wolcmd used in
> conjunction with Windows' scheduler is up to the task, except I don't
> know at this time how to specify to break schedule and trigger
> immediately if it's been too long.
>
> 2. BackupPC does its thing and pulls data from the client(s).
>
> 3. When all jobs are finished, the machine puts itself to sleep,
> shutting off cpus, hard drives, fans, etc.

That might be difficult since there is that BackupPC_nightly job which
needs to run once in a while. I'd rather go for minimizing idle power
consumption, e.g. by allowing disks to spin down, using a CPU with
advanced power management etc. (which might be difficult with RAID
setups which are recommended for backup).

> 4. Machine is off, waiting for the next magic packet before returning to #1.
>
> I'm open to other power saving suggestions if this scenario sounds
> nutty. Basically I'm looking to avoid 24/7 electricity costs when the
> machine needs to run 30-90 minutes daily. I am not open to anything
> that requires daily human intervention, even if it's just to press the
> power button twice per day. Thanks for any assistance rendered.

How many clients do you have? Are you sure that backups will complete
within that 30-90 minutes?

You coult try setting a wakeup schedule in BIOS (some support that). Or
maybe you've got another server which is running 24/7? It could then
schedule a daily nightly wakeup for the server while the clients
schedule wakeups for backups.

It might be difficult to figure out that BackupPC has nothing to do any
more - it might be easier to do manual scheduling using
BackupPC_serverMesg and disable wakeup intervals - you have to run
BackupPC_nightly manually via BackupPC_serverMesg.

There is a list of possible server messages:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=ServerMesg_commands

I'm not sure the list is complete, though.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de