BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving

2009-10-13 12:31:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:28:42 -0600

Wake-by-BIOS is interesting. Nice tip. I forgot the functionality even
existed. This makes the setup simpler. So what about:

1. BIOS wakes up machine.

2. Wake machine around midnight so BackupPC_nightly can do its thing
or just trigger manually upon bootup.

3. Now we'll reverse the direction: BackupPC wakes the clients.

4. BackupPC shuts itself down after jobs are complete OR after some
time interval (I don't want it to wait forever if a laptop is out for
the night, for example). Looks like BackupPC_serverMesg status hosts
can help here.

5. We wait for #1.

how about
1)boot on bios power-on schedule
2)let backuppc process all backups.  should automatically happen due to the wakeup schedule though I would shorten that period.
3)run a script to determine if backuppc is doing a backup, if so then sleep for your wakeup schedule + 1 minute, if not then execute backuppc nightly
4)trigger a shutdown when backuppc nightly completes.