BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving

2009-10-13 13:21:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving
From: Robert Kosinski <robert.kosinski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:17:15 -0400
> 2)let backuppc process all backups.  should automatically happen due to the
> wakeup schedule though I would shorten that period.

I was thinking every 15 min or so.

> 3)run a script to determine if backuppc is doing a backup, if so then sleep
> for your wakeup schedule + 1 minute, if not then execute backuppc nightly

Nice suggestion for wakeup + 1 min. This alleviates concerns regarding
race conditions and the machine turning off then on again and perhaps
missing a backup or killing one that was in progress. I grabbed some
states from my existing BackupPC setup and it looks like I'll be
checking the "activeJob" field.

> 4)trigger a shutdown when backuppc nightly completes.

This probably makes more sense than triggering the nightly first.