BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving

2009-10-15 11:24:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving
From: Robert Kosinski <robert.kosinski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:20:10 -0400
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM, dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> 1)boot on bios power-on schedule
> 2)let backuppc process all backups.  should automatically happen due to the
> wakeup schedule though I would shorten that period.
> 3)run a script to determine if backuppc is doing a backup, if so then sleep
> for your wakeup schedule + 1 minute, if not then execute backuppc nightly
> 4)trigger a shutdown when backuppc nightly completes.

I built a surprisingly simple proof of concept around the above flow,
and it looks like the idea is valid. There are still bugs to track
down and race conditions to examine, but I don't think it's too early
to call the idea of "BackupPC Green" a success.

Some followup questions:

Does "activeJob" still equal 1 during the link stage? I'm having
trouble catching a backup when it's doing so.

Speaking of "activeJob", I haven't found a way to answer the question
"Are any hosts active?" Using BackupPC_serverMesg status hosts doesn't
work because trashClean always reports itself as active. Is there any
other criterion I could use to examine all possible jobs to see if any
are active? My proof of concept only examined a single host.