BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving

2009-10-12 21:14:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and power saving
From: Robert Kosinski <robert.kosinski AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:11:24 -0400
Hello BackupPC-users,

I have a scenario in my head and am soliciting feedback as to its
feasibility. Forgive me if this has been discussed before; I searched
the mailing list and wider Internet but couldn't come up with much
information. What I'd like to do is:

1. Set a schedule on the Windows clients to send Wake-on-LAN packets
once per day or immediately upon booting if it's been longer than the
desired interval. Why not the other way around? Well, the backup
server will be asleep, and I am not aware of a method to schedule a
self wake. Reading over documentation, it looks like wolcmd used in
conjunction with Windows' scheduler is up to the task, except I don't
know at this time how to specify to break schedule and trigger
immediately if it's been too long.

2. BackupPC does its thing and pulls data from the client(s).

3. When all jobs are finished, the machine puts itself to sleep,
shutting off cpus, hard drives, fans, etc.

4. Machine is off, waiting for the next magic packet before returning to #1.

I'm open to other power saving suggestions if this scenario sounds
nutty. Basically I'm looking to avoid 24/7 electricity costs when the
machine needs to run 30-90 minutes daily. I am not open to anything
that requires daily human intervention, even if it's just to press the
power button twice per day. Thanks for any assistance rendered.