BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Harmless button" when trying to start backups using links browser

2009-04-22 16:54:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Harmless button" when trying to start backups using links browser
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:48:55 -0500
John Rouillard wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I just installed backuppc 3.2.0beta0 (but this happens with 3.1.0 as
> well) and I browsed to a host summary page and attempted to start a
> backup using the links text browser.
>
> However links is showing "Harmless Button" as the text for all three:
>
>   Start Incr Backup
>   Start Full Backup
>   Stop/Dequeue Backup
>
> buttons. Looking at the source I see that the buttons are only valid
> when javascript is enabled and don't seem to work as regular form
> buttons. It looks like the value is set only if a button is clicked
> and javascript is available to set the action value.  Kind of makes it
> difficult to use when working from a text mode browser or other
> non-javascript enabled device (like some handheld phones).
>
> Does anybody have a fix to let it be used in a text mode browser or a
> browser w/o javascript?
>
> Would making the three buttons read something like:
>
>   <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="button" VALUE="Start Incr Backup">
>   <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="button" VALUE="Start Full Backup">
>   <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="button" VALUE="Stop/Dequeue Backup">
>
> with support in the cgi for detecting ?button="Start%20Incr%20Backup"
> with no action or a blank action work?
>
> For those who are wondering, I am remoted into the system and the vpn
> isn't working at the moment so I can't use the browser on my laptop
> nor can I send back X or anything to use a graphical browser.
>
> Well guess it's time to drag out my BackupPC_serverMesg dictionary
> to fire up the backup 8-).

This isn't quite what you asked for, but a much nicer way to do remote
administration is to run freenx on a stable 'inside' linux box where you
have ssh access, and use the NX client from http://www.nomachine.com on
your laptop (and perhaps other machines).  This gives you a full GUI
desktop that works well even over low bandwidth connections and lets you
disconnect/reconnect with everything still running - and all you need is
port 22 open for ssh.   Or for the old-school way, just use ssh or putty
to port-forward the browser connection for you.