BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Harmless button" when trying to start backups using links browser

2009-04-22 21:29:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Harmless button" when trying to start backups using links browser
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:23:08 -0400
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg06412.html

NX does have many uses, as Les suggested.  This might be a good time to try it
out.

If you have an ssh server running on the BackupPC machine, you can use port
forwarding as somebody else suggested:

ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 user@backuppcserver

This will log you in as "user" on "backuppcserver".  As long as that session is
open, your local port 8080 will be "forwarded" to port 80 on
backuppcserver.  So in your web browser, go to this address:

http://localhost:8080/backuppc

This will let you use a heavy graphical web browser locally, while using
minimal bandwidth.

-Rob