BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "Harmless button" when trying to start backups using links browser

2009-04-22 17:41:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "Harmless button" when trying to start backups using links browser
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:35:46 -0500
Renke Brausse wrote:
>>> Does anybody have a fix to let it be used in a text mode browser or a
>>> browser w/o javascript?
>> This isn't quite what you asked for, but a much nicer way to do remote
>> administration is to run freenx on a stable 'inside' linux box where you
>> have ssh access, and use the NX client from http://www.nomachine.com on
>> your laptop (and perhaps other machines).
>
> imo NX is overkill - a ssh tunnel to port 80 of the backuppc host is
> sufficient...

An ssh tunnel is all you need to run NX - or port-forward your local
browser's connection.

> but more on-topic: I like John's proposal, a plain html page would be
> nice, I don't see the need for javascript in the GUI.

Yes, there are probably libraries that degrade gracefully to browsers
with no capabilities, but it's just a matter of time until you have to
manage some other device that needs javascript, java, or something else
you can't do in text mode - and the price is right.