BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server

2008-07-13 20:44:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 02:44:17 +0200
Hello Dan & ...,

back from a 2 weeks vacation time to implemend your ideas about how to
backup the backuppc-server.

I'll try to add a 3rd harddrive to my RAID1-setup.

As far I understand you also mentioned two other possibilities:

1) builting a iSCSI-device by using another pc. I didn't know that this
is possible, but doing while browsing the web, I found:

"Don't put your iSCSI SAN on your regular IP network, either. There's
plenty of traffic running over that, and iSCSI is bandwidth-intensive.
Also consider whether your servers have enough CPU power to handle
iSCSI. Unwrapping and reassembling iSCSI packets can take a lot of CPU
time."

Since I didn't found a beginner-friendly step-by-step guide, I think I
have to wait until I gain more experience in order to try to setup an
own iSCSI-device.

2) AoE - ATA-over-Ethernet.
Sounds really interesting but also seems to be harder to implement than
adding another disk to my raid-system.

> Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know!

uhm .. maybe you just know much much more than I know about linux,
server-administration :-)

As soon as I have succesfully added more disks to my raid I'll update
the wiki and will also your ideas (iSCSI, AoE).

- Kurt