BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage

2008-07-14 20:35:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:35:10 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote:

> I believe the original idea is *not* to temporarily cripple your RAID but
> rather to add a third disk (three way mirror). I'm not sure if you can do that
> after initial creation of the array, but the man page suggests it should be
> possible "on kernels which provide necessary support". So you would have
> something like
>
>     4. Add new HDD to raid:
>
>       # sudo mdadm --grow --raid-devices=3 /dev/md0

If you are starting from scratch, you can create a raid with 3 devices
and specify one as "missing".   I haven't tried changing the number
after creation, but it is supposed to work.

>       # sudo mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdc1
>
> and --fail and --remove only /dev/sdc1, *never* /dev/sd[ab]1.

If you want the filesystem to be clean, you should momentarily stop
backuppc and unmount the array before failing and removing the extra mirror.

> I'm afraid I don't have any spare HDDs around to test this right now ...
>
>> [...]
>> 3) Will it harm my harddrives if I use hot-swapable harddrive-cases?
>
> As long as they don't get *too* hot ... why should it? Whether or not
> hot-swapping actually works seems to depend on the driver for the hardware
> controller (at least for SATA).

Yes, some SATA controllers will let the kernel notice the new device and
some won't.