BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server

2008-07-09 18:23:22
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:23:07 +0200
Hi,

we have two servers in two offices that are running backuppc.
Since I have setup a (Soft-)RAID1 (mirroring) the server should be fine
if one of its disk dies.

Now I would like to make sure that if in case of fire or
<INSERT-SCENERIO-HERE> I still have a backup of the server on an
external harddrive that is locked away.

Unfortunately I don't know where to start to make sure that I can do a
baremetal recovery of the backuppc server.

My Idea was todo a full diskimage of the server and then to (r)sync
daily to the external harddrive.  This harddrive will then be stores
away when everybody is out of office.

What do you think may be the right approach?

Also I would like to hear if and how you made bare metal recovery's with
backuppc(s data).

- Kurt