BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backups recently failing with "Unable to read ..." errors

2008-07-14 11:36:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backups recently failing with "Unable to read ..." errors
From: Philippe Joyez <philippe.joyez AT cea DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:11:45 +0200
Hi all,

I have been using backuppc for a few months without much trouble, but
suddenly, it started failing on the second share of the main client,
giving errors:

    *********************
    full backup started for directory /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1
    (baseline backup #159)
    Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -p [hidden] /opt/bin/rsync --server
    --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
    --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times .
    /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1/
    Xfer PIDs are now 10980
    Got remote protocol 29
    Negotiated protocol version 28
    Sent exclude: /Download
    Sent exclude: /Video
    Sent exclude: /web
    Sent exclude: /.Trash*
    Sent exclude: */_*
    Xfer PIDs are now 10980,10983
    Unable to read 1 bytes from
    /var/lib/backuppc/pc/myserver/159/f%2fshares%2fMYVOLUME1%2fMYSHARE1
    got=, seekPosn=327680 (0,1,1,4096,440)
    Unable to read 1 bytes from
    /var/lib/backuppc/pc/myserver/159/f%2fshares%2fMYVOLUME1%2fMYSHARE1
    got=, seekPosn=327680 (0,1,1,4096,440)
solution/workaround. It seems the server is unable to access files in
the pool while trying to compare them with files on the client. I ran
fsck on the server backup partition: it found no problem. I also ran the
BackupPC_verifyPool script, and it also found no problem. I use no
compression, the disk usage has been stable at 69% for weeks, I have
plenty of ram... It's definitely not a network problem because the first
share of this client still backs up correctly. I have upgraded to
version 3.1 (was initially 3.0), with no change. I can't figure out what
is wrong.

As anyone a better suggestion than to wipe out my existing backups and
rebuild a fresh full backup?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe

--