BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server

2008-07-10 08:53:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:53:04 -0500
On 07/10 12:23 , Kurt Tunkko wrote:
> My Idea was todo a full diskimage of the server and then to (r)sync
> daily to the external harddrive.  This harddrive will then be stores
> away when everybody is out of office.

Rsync scales poorly to millions of files; the memory requirements are too
high and you'll run the box out of memory very easily.

> What do you think may be the right approach?

For the moment, the proposed solution of making/breaking a mirror seems to
be the favored one.

> Also I would like to hear if and how you made bare metal recovery's with
> backuppc(s data).

I've done it a bunch of times; at least on Linux boxen. (Windows is
obviously much more difficult due to the registry and the lack of a good
tool to rewrite the bootloader). The basic idea of it is:

boot bare metal machine with knoppix or some other rescue distro
BackupPC_tarCreate | netcat to baremetal machine | untar
rewrite the bootloader
reboot and you're done

It works pretty much the same way you'd clone a machine.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator