BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server

2008-07-22 15:09:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:09:07 +0200
Hey Dan,

dan wrote:
 > AOE is quite simple.

:-o ... wait, not THAT simple ... simple is something like: throw in
coin here -> get a beer  :-)

I just think that I don't fully understand the concept of AOE and how I
can apply your setup in order to back our server to a 3rd harddrive that
is NOT in the same room like our server.

As far as I understand your idea, I would setup an other-machine that
will have one harddrive/parition configured as AOE.

BackupPC-Server -> network -> other-machine -> AOE-Disk

have I understand this right - since we have lots of spare machines
available there wouldn't be a problem setting up another one.

BUT I don't get how the backuppc-server "knows" where the AOE disk is?
sounds like magic.

If it's not to offtopic I would like to ask if you can add some more
newbie-friendly information how this is working, maybe using the names
backuppc-server (that wants to add the AOE-device to its RAID) and
aoeserver (that has the real drive built in).

thanks a lot - I'm looking forward to make some testing

- Kurt