Amanda-Users

Re: tape problem

2003-10-30 00:23:03
Subject: Re: tape problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Yogish" <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:18:33 -0500
On Wednesday 29 October 2003 20:56, Yogish wrote:
>Hi Gene
>
>Thanks for all the help. Actually it did give some error for the
> second command which I had pasted.

I was refering to this^^^^^^ command when I said "Odd"
>> No output on the screen? Odd.
>>
>> >Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>> >-----------------------------
>> >ERROR: running as user "root" instead of "amanda"
>> >
>> >1+0 records in
>> >1+0 records out
>
>This was the error.
>
>So how do I configure amanda.conf and the disklist such that it does
>incremental backup during monday through thursday and do full backup
> on friday. Also we have 6 tapes, out which tape 5 and 6 are rotated
> on alternate weeks. So How do I configure this.
>
>I apprecaite your help greatly.
>
>Regards
>Yogish

The actual scheduleing of the backups is done by the user "amanda"s
crontab configuration.  I forget which of the variables is the day of
the week, but you replace the "*" in that position with a "1,2,3,4,5"
and it will be run 5 times a week, sunday being 0 IIRC.  See man
crontab for those sparse details.

amanda.conf then should define dumpcycle as 1, runspercycle as 1, and
tapecycle as 6.  I sent another message describing that I think.
This should do fulls every nite for 5 nights a week.

Amanda doesn't really have the facilities to do a backup schedule that
fits a "human"s idea of a regular schedule, at least not without a
lot of arm twisting.  However, dumpcycle is amandas means of
guaranteeing you that a full backup of everything WILL be done within
that 7 day time period unless you have small tapes and it just won't
all fit.

To do that, go ahead and set dumpcycle to 1 week or 7 days, and
runspercycle to 5, so amanda knows she has only 5 actual runs to get
this full backup of everything done in.  Amanda will then do an
initial full on anything not already covered, and incrementals on the
other days.  But she will often do a shorter cycle until she has
arrived at a working schedule.  That may take several tapecycles
before a 'balanced' schedule has been acheived.