Amanda-Users

Re: tape problem

2003-10-29 03:59:37
Subject: Re: tape problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Yogish" <yogish.gk AT ahsinc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:56:44 -0500
On Wednesday 29 October 2003 01:26, Yogish wrote:
>Hi
>
>Here are the results for the commands
>

>mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>No error, prompt was returned after the command

expected

>> dd if=/dev/st0 count=1

No output on the screen? Odd.

>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>ERROR: running as user "root" instead of "amanda"
>
>1+0 records in
>1+0 records out
>
>su amanda -c "amcheck /yourconfigname/"
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /home/amanda: 20204072 KB disk space available, that's
> plenty
>ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape normal02
>       (expecting a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>Server check took 14.131 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>Client check: 1 host checked in 0.010 seconds, 0 problems found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)

So the above named tape 1. contains a label (why didn't the dd line
above show it?), and 2. its been written to according to amanda.  It
cannot then be reused until the tapelist has been traversed and it
comes around again.

>I have also attached amanda.conf disklist for the configuration

I don't see anything wrong with the disklist unless it might be a
missing spindle number, which would make amanda think they are two
different drives rather than what appears to be 2 partitions on the
same drive.  If the latter case, that could lead to some thrashing of
the drive as it seeks back and forth between the two partition.
Using identical, positive spindle numbers as the last item on each
line will cause the accesses to be serialized, with the second one
waiting till the first is done.  Actually its marginally faster, and
easier on the drive.

Your amanda.conf it appears has been fixed up a little, and now
contains quasi-usable numbers.  I'd question the default etimeout,
thats a bit short on time to do a full estimate on todays
multigigabyte partitions.  Off the top of my head, I think I've got
that set for 1200 seconds, or 20 minutes as I have a couple of 40+
gig partitions here.  Your second partition could be timing out
because of this.

I note you do not have a dtimeout specified, the default IIRC is 600
seconds, and ISTR I've got that setup for 1800 or 30 minutes, one of
my client DLE's is over 7Gb, set for compress-client-best to make it
fit, a killer cpu hog on a 500mhz machine.

Holding disk.  Can of worms here, you have an 80Gb tape/drive, but
only 10Gb usable.  This probably needs to be jacked up to at least 2x
the largest DLE else the holding disk will be skipped for larger
DLE's, leading (possibly, certainly if any SW compression is being
used) to the "shoe-shining" of the drive as it underflows, runs out
of data, stops and backs up to restart when the buffer fills up
again.  Hard on the drive, tape, and a bit of a time waster.  They
are much happier when they can start up and run non-stop till the
tape has been written.

And last, a dumpcycle of 7, runspercycle of 5, really needs at least
10 tapes in the tapecycle to prevent over-writing your last good full
with a potentially bad new one *IF* you weren't specifying
always-full in the disklist, but were making use of amandas ability
to spread out the fulls mixed with incrementals by auto-adjusting the
schedule on a day by day basis.  However thats not going to be really
usable until you get a lot more DLE's for amanda to juggle, 2 doesn't
give her much dancing room.

Now, if TPTB are married to the "always-full" idea, then I'd reset
things in your amanda.conf to:

dumpcycle 1 day
runspercycle 1
runtapes 1

That way, your 6 tapes won't seem like such a limitation as each one
will in fact be a full backup and amanda will know thats the case
from those settings.  If you have the tape capacity, thats nice, but
IMO wastes a lot of amanda's intelligent talent.

I've overdone it a bit here, forced by having such a small drive, as
dumpcycle and runspercycle are both set to 8, and I have 28 tapes in
the tapecycle.  So my "safety ratio" is 3.5 sets of fulls on hand at
any one time.  But then my tapes are both small (4Gb uncompressed
DDS2's), not as dependable, and dirt cheap ($30 or less for a 10
pack) on ebay.

Now are you beginning to understand amanda?

[snip old msg]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: