Amanda-Users

Re: tape problem

2003-10-29 21:33:46
Subject: Re: tape problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:31:06 -0500
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 06:56:59PM -0700, Yogish wrote:
> Hi Gene
>
> Thanks for all the help. Actually it did give some error for the second
> command which I had pasted.

> > No output on the screen? Odd.
> >
> > >Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> > >-----------------------------
> > >ERROR: running as user "root" instead of "amanda"
> > >
> > >1+0 records in
> > >1+0 records out
>

> This was the error.

That is not an error.
That is the normal report that dd gives at the end of its run.
It read one 512 byte record from the input file (/dev/st0)
and wrote one 512 byte record to the output file (stdout).

> So how do I configure amanda.conf and the disklist such that it does
> incremental backup during monday through thursday and do full backup on
> friday. Also we have 6 tapes, out which tape 5 and 6 are rotated on
> alternate weeks. So How do I configure this.

You are attempting to use a screwdriver to attach a nail.
I.e. wrong tool for the job.  You want to bend amanda away
from how it wants to do the job it was designed to do so
that it fits your preconceived idea of how to do backups.

Not that it can't be used your way.  But you will have to
jump through hoops to do it.

A scan of the mailing list archives for the other 20+ times
it has come up this year might be in order.

jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)